Wednesday 9 April 2014

Game Diary: 04/04/2014-09/04/2014

Tekken 5 (PS2)
I don't know why but I found I have this thing with Namco fighting games where I can only go up to a certain point with them. In the case of Soul Calibur I never go past Soul Calibur II. I played Soul Calibur III when it came out and was so very disappointed, the Broken Destiny on PSP didn't do it for me either and from what I've read and seen IV and V weren't much better. With Tekken I have the same sort of thing going on but unlike Soul Calibur I don't see it as something I'm going to give up on. Don't get me wrong I played the hell out of Tekken 6 at launch but in hindsight it was not what I actually wanted from Tekken game nor was it that great. I have heard a lot of great things about Tekken Tag Tournament 2 so I'll look into getting that sometime in the future.
Anyway Tekken 5, there are two reasons I still play this loads. Reason 1) It has the arcade versions of Tekken 1, 2 & 3; Tekken  3 is one of my all time favourite games, I can't do it justice in words, it is just perfect. 2) Tekken 4 wasn't very good and with Tekken 5 it felt like they had gone back and looked at what Tekken 3 so great, in other words I like it because it felt like the real follow up to Tekken 3.

Tekken Tag Tournament (PS2)
It isn't just the gameplay that makes a fighting game for me. My favourite fighting games are ones that have a certain appeal to them, these games I adore I consider to had an "it" factor that propels them to greater heights. Although the European version of Tekken tag Tournament is hamstrung by it's slow ass 50hz speed I still enjoy it immensely because of the factors outside of the gameplay (which is for a 50hz game is still pretty acceptable). My favourite things about Tekken tag are as follows: The music, the visual design and the artistic direction the designers went with. Those are the things that make me love Tekken Tag. It's not just Tekken Tag, Tekken 3, Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, Guilty Gear X2, these are all game that hit this sweet spot for me and that is why I love them (also I adore the box art and wish more games had box art like it).

Guilty Gear X (PS2)
Every time I play this it really depresses the hell out of me. 50hz only, poorly optimised and really, really slow. I really like Guilty Gear but I can't be doing with this version of Guilty Gear X, it's too slow and as a result the game just isn't the same and the animations sometimes look really choppy. One day I will have a PS2 that plays NTSC games and I will be able to play this the way it was meant to be played.

Super Smash Bros Melee (Gamecube)
Nothing to say other than I played some friendly matches and need to practice some more. I have to be honest recently news about the new Wii U Smash Brothers has got me kind of looking forward to the game. From what Nintendo have revealed it sounds like they are aiming to make the game more like Melee and give it that speed and competitive game that was oh so missing from Brawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment